• November 7Democrats take back House, Republicans retain control of Senate

• November 6Fall carnival on Friday during sixth and seventh period

STEAM building planned for construction summer 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spearheaded by Director Stacy Chambers,
the new STEAM building is set to
begin construction next summer. Once
complete, the building will house the
performing arts department.

Spearheaded by Director Stacy Chambers, the new STEAM building is set to begin construction next summer. Once complete, the building will house the performing arts department.

Artistic rendering by Beverly Frank and Steve Carpenter

Olivia Choutupalli and Tabitha Weinstein

The days of performances in the cafeteria, floating teachers and struggling to find parking are almost over. By the start of the 2020 school year, the school will have an additional building dedicated to STEAM subjects.

Set to start construction next summer, the new STEAM building was first brought up to faculty and students last year, but it was officially proposed to the school board in September. The goal of the new building is to address issues the school faces because of its small campus compared to other schools in Leon County by creating more space and resources catered to the STEAM subjects: science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics.

“Something our school lacks is space,” media productions
teacher Clayton Allen said. “There are teachers who don’t have their own classrooms on our campus and there are sports teams without permanent practice facilities. We have outgrown our current space, so a new building would do wonders for that issue.”

The plans include an auditorium area, learning spaces equipped for STEAM classes and a dedicated parking lot for the building. The building will include fully-integrated technology, language labs, rooms with proper acoustics, mobile walls and storage space.

“Everyone is excited, especially about the auditorium and the ability to do presentations,” secondary music teacher Terice Allen said.

With the creation of an entirely new building, many classes will be moved there. Currently, the art, foreign language, media and music classes lack proper storage and space, which the new STEAM building aims to fix.

“The STEAM building would allow my classes to have a space that was designed for the type of class I teach,” Clayton Allen said. “It would also give us an actual studio for the morning news.”

On top of a new space for the current classes offered, the school is also seeking the opportunity to expand industry certifications in order to offer more classes. By creating flexible learning spaces, classes like technology, foreign language, engineering and robotics can all be taught in the same space, and new college and career-ready subjects can be added.

“I would like to see more technology and hands on learning environments [in the new building],” eighth-grader Katherine Currie said.

Administration is currently in discussion with stakeholders and architects to finalize plans. Both students and teachers are looking forward to the positive changes the new building will bring.

“I’m excited to see what they could do with this new space in the future,” Currie said.