• November 7Democrats take back House, Republicans retain control of Senate

• November 6Fall carnival on Friday during sixth and seventh period

Step up and pep up

Students need to take initiative in increasing school spirit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Step up and pep up

Barbara Davis

Barbara Davis

Barbara Davis

Staff Editorial

It’s no secret that our student body has traditionally been unspirited. The students were never motivated, and the administration and coaches didn’t know how to address it. This year, a select group of students decided that it was time to make a change. They created a spirit club in which athletes, band members, students, administrators and coaches meet to discuss all of their goals and how to accomplish them. This decision could have wide-reading benefits.

The most obvious way school spirit can help the student body is by motivating athletes. Cheering and attention can give athletes and the band the willpower to keep playing to the best of their abilities. By sitting in the student section next to the band, instead of spread out over the hill, we can all feed off of each other’s energy and become one unified section cheering for our team. Students have a job to do just like the band and the players, if we want winning teams: learn the chants and the cheers, participate in the themed dress ups and be loud and proud.

The spirit club has been using props like smoke bombs and cow bells to get students to show up at games and to increase excitement once they’re there, which no other school in town is doing. We already have unmatched creativity and innovative ideas; we just need the positive and lively atmosphere that only students have to power to bring.

School spirit means more than just attending games, however. We should all embrace our school and be proud to attend it. Being K-12, our school signifies family; we look out for one another and help each other when we need it the most. Our clubs and organizations constantly offer us opportunities to have our voice heard and to make a difference in not only our school, but also our community. We provide services for those who are in need, like the recent #FSUSCares supply drive in the wake of Hurricane Michael. By helping when your peers or teachers need it and proposing improvements, our school can be the best it’s ever been.

School spirit is necessary in order to evolve our campus from just some place we have to be into a community that supports and looks out for one another. With a nudge in the right direction from our students and administrators, our school spirit can continue to flourish.