• November 7Democrats take back House, Republicans retain control of Senate

• November 6Fall carnival on Friday during sixth and seventh period

Goodson leads on court, in classroom

Back to Article
Back to Article

Goodson leads on court, in classroom

Sophomore Mya Goodson jumps to block an incoming serve. As libero, Goodson is responsible for passing and digging. “She has a great relationship with her peers; she seems to be able to balance socializing with being a leader,” SGA sponsor Ryan Capas said.

Courtesy of Mya Goodson

Courtesy of Mya Goodson

Courtesy of Mya Goodson

Lauren Kreis and Jayden Wiggins

A relative newcomer to the sport, sophomore Mya Goodson has quickly become a stand-out player for the varsity volleyball team.

While this is only her fourth season playing volleyball, Goodson is rarely seen on the bench, and is considered an integral part of the team by her peers.

“She is always giving 120 percent,” said senior Brooklyn McLeod, one of Goodson’s teammates on the varsity volleyball team. “She always works to the best of her ability, never halfway.”

Before Goodson fell in love with volleyball, she was a competitive gymnast for seven years. She credits this time with her flexibility, which decreases the risk of injury while she is playing. She also says gymnastics taught her self discipline and helped her mature into a hard-working student athlete.

“Gymnastics, for a while, was a big part of my life,” Goodson said. “I am happy I did gymnastics because it has sort of made me into the person I am today.”

When Goodson entered middle school, she took her talents to volleyball because she wanted to be a part of a team. She was also inspired by her fond memories of playing during P.E. in elementary school, and her mother, who played in high school.

Goodson doesn’t just excel on the courts; she is currently serving her second term as class president, and is a voice for her peers. She works to raise money for her class while organizing events that not only bring her class together, but bring all the classes together. Last year, she initaited Lunch on the Lawn, a program that encourages students to sit by someone new every Friday. She was also the president of NJHS last year and continues to keep her grades high in hopes of being inducted into NHS.

“She is determined,” SGA sponsor Ryan Capas said. “She has very high goals for herself and her life. She wants to serve a purpose, implement ideas and keep moving forward in life. “

As for the future, Goodson has still not decided if she wants to play volleyball in college. Places like Vanderbilt, University of California-Berkeley and Cornell are all possibilities, but if it comes to picking a school for academics or sports, she wants to focus on
academics. In the meantime, she plans to continue to take AP and honors classes to stay motivated and prepared for whatever lies ahead.

“She is really smart, and completing her work is her top priority,” junior William Pfeiffer said. “She is one of the more active students in the classroom, so she is a great person to have in your class.”
From proposing new ideas in SGA to leading the team to a win in volleyball, Goodson takes each day a step at a time.

“Taking initiative and being involved on campus and school is a passion of mine,” Goodson said. “I have come out of my shell a little bit; I have learned to be my best self.”